Sunday, August 19, 2012

Learning to sew, project #3

As some of you know, my goal for the summer was to teach myself how to sew. This week, I decided to try my hand at making a sleeve for my Nook Color. I Googled tutorials for Nook sleeves and stumbled upon this FABULOUS tutorial from Little Birdie Secrets. Her instructions are great, and I followed them exactly. The only change I made was that I didn't use minky fabric because I was trying to go as cheap as possible... If I get good at this, I will opt for the minky and make gifts for people.

This was only the third sewing project I've ever attempted. The zipper was quite frustrating, but I got through it. (Thank goodness for seam rippers and a sense of humor.) I am going to try one more for my mom today. :)

Saturday, August 11, 2012

Learning to sew- project #2

As I was browsing through the many wonderful pins on Pinterest, I came across this link to a cloth basket (or bucket) tutorial. The blogger is The Stitchin' Kitchen, and her directions were so awesome for a novice like me.

I liked this project because I had to draw a pattern. I made 3 of these baskets. I followed her instructions completely. I omitted the handles because I don't like handles on baskets. (I'm weird).

So here are my finished baskets/buckets:
This one matches the ottoman cover. It was my first attempt.

Thursday, August 9, 2012

Cardboard box airplane

It is really amazing what you can do with a cardboard box. Last week, I volunteered at my church's VBS and the theme was "Sky." I thought it would be fun to make an airplane for the kids in the nursery.

Supplies used:
2 cardboard boxes (large enough for a child to sit in), duct tape, an egg carton, a box cutter and scissors.

Here are the pictures. It is pretty easy to put together. ;)

First, I taped the box together with the duct tape and then cut a hole in the top. The smaller kids did have to be lifted and placed in the plane, but they did not mind. 

The propeller was simple. You need 2 or 3 blades and a disc shape to tape them to. I also cut strips about 2 inches wide and taped them to the disc to raise the propeller off the plane.

On the inside of the box, I taped half of an egg carton opposite the propeller to use as the control panel.

 For the wings on the side and the tail, I just made slots on the box, inserted and taped them in.

There you have it. I think the whole project took about an hour. I'm thinking about making a few other box vehicles for my son's birthday party this spring. Who knows?

Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Sewing for dummies... literally.

Project #1

As we get ready for a new person to enter the house, I am trying to get some things done I have been wanting to do for a while. One of them is to teach myself how to sew. After talking to a couple of good friends who are really great at sewing, I decided that I should sew something I need or want.

Our living room ottoman is an awesome piece of furniture, but it has been abused. The picture makes it look worse (but not really).

I set out to look for the easiest tutorial online and found this. Next, I dragged my mom to the fabric store for advice and moral support. Then, I sent the little man off to Grandpa's house and gave myself a day to get to know my sewing machine and to get this done.

So, yeah, it took several hours to thread the machine (and several temper tantrums). FINALLY, I was able to start. After several practice runs and call to my mom to come over and help, I was able to get going for real.

Here it is:
So, so proud and excited. The stitches are a little crooked and there are several flaws, but I did it. Woo!