Thursday, August 9, 2012

Cardboard box airplane

It is really amazing what you can do with a cardboard box. Last week, I volunteered at my church's VBS and the theme was "Sky." I thought it would be fun to make an airplane for the kids in the nursery.

Supplies used:
2 cardboard boxes (large enough for a child to sit in), duct tape, an egg carton, a box cutter and scissors.

Here are the pictures. It is pretty easy to put together. ;)

First, I taped the box together with the duct tape and then cut a hole in the top. The smaller kids did have to be lifted and placed in the plane, but they did not mind. 

The propeller was simple. You need 2 or 3 blades and a disc shape to tape them to. I also cut strips about 2 inches wide and taped them to the disc to raise the propeller off the plane.



On the inside of the box, I taped half of an egg carton opposite the propeller to use as the control panel.

 For the wings on the side and the tail, I just made slots on the box, inserted and taped them in.

There you have it. I think the whole project took about an hour. I'm thinking about making a few other box vehicles for my son's birthday party this spring. Who knows?

No comments: